Sunday, June 1, 2008

June!

I love June. June rocks. It is by far my favorite month of the year. Why you ask? I have a lot of different reasons, actually. Some of them really don't apply anymore, but I don't care. I still love June. First of all, the weather is great. Not too hot...not too cool. I love a great 80 degree Central Washington day with nothing but blue sky. Then there is tennis galore. The French Open ends the first week of June (I've already been watching this morning) and Wimbledon starts the last week of June. And for a tennis junkie like myself....it's like being locked in a bakery with nothing but a fork. Good stuff. When I was younger I loved June because that was when school got out for the year and because at the end of June we harvested peas. I loved Pea harvest. I loved eating fresh peas right off the vine. And it was always exciting because we didn't actually harvest them...an outside firm came in and did it. I know it sounds weird, but it was a highlight when I was young. And though school and peas no longer have significance in my life, I still have fond memories of that time. And finally, let's not forget the most important aspect of June. That's right, it's my B-day! I'm not exactly thrilled about turning 38, but I still like to celebrate. I love June.

8 comments:

mooney said...

I love the bakery reference!. June is a great month. I look forward to the summer solstice every year. We used to have a party to welcome the sun and summer. Good times.
I'm looking forward to your birthday too....so glad you turn 38 before me! :)

Jeanna said...

Jillicious, sounds like Jeff is ust BEGGING for you to package up some yummy treats and send them his way for his big day.

I like June, too. Although I have never enjoyed peas. I know they probably taste better from the vine, everyone says so, but I have never, ever liked them. In fact, I have a funny story about refusing to eat peas as an adult at a kind-of nichols family function. It was after H and I broke up, but he still wanted me to go to a cousin's wedding lunch. I attended and was bitter the whole time. They servied peas and it was a defining moment where I realized I was an adult and no one could make me eat the peas, especially since the bozo I went with had just broken up with me. :)

Jeanna said...

Jeff, I deeply apologize for the bad spelling and punctuation in my previous comment. Yikes.

Brittany said...

okay, i've just visited jill's website and i am telling you - if you don't call me up and invite me to go with you to enjoy some tasty treats i will be very very sore. that is fair warning.

i love june too. though i think i like it loads better in places other than the northwest. summer doesn't really start here until july. actually, i don't think it really starts until september. but that's just me being bitter because it never really gets hot here.

i'm curious about who's "big day" jeanna is talking about above. harold? what big day? i'll confront her about this... and about the pea story. because i'm almost certain harold doesn't like peas either - so i'm wondering why he tried to convince her to eat them. interesting...

Brittany said...

okay, i've just visited jill's website and i am telling you - if you don't call me up and invite me to go with you to enjoy some tasty treats i will be very very sore. that is fair warning.

i love june too. though i think i like it loads better in places other than the northwest. summer doesn't really start here until july. actually, i don't think it really starts until september. but that's just me being bitter because it never really gets hot here.

i'm curious about who's "big day" jeanna is talking about above. harold? what big day? i'll confront her about this... and about the pea story. because i'm almost certain harold doesn't like peas either - so i'm wondering why he tried to convince her to eat them. interesting...

Brittany said...

okay, i've just visited jill's website and i am telling you - if you don't call me up and invite me to go with you to enjoy some tasty treats i will be very very sore. that is fair warning.

i love june too. though i think i like it loads better in places other than the northwest. summer doesn't really start here until july. actually, i don't think it really starts until september. but that's just me being bitter because it never really gets hot here.

i'm curious about who's "big day" jeanna is talking about above. harold? what big day? i'll confront her about this... and about the pea story. because i'm almost certain harold doesn't like peas either - so i'm wondering why he tried to convince her to eat them. interesting...

Brittany said...

so my computer was acting funny. can you tell? you can just go ahead and erase all my comments. or just read into it as a stern plea to go to jill's bakery with you.

the baker said...

typically june is a great month, since the first day of summer is in this month...but down here in oregon, the days are still rainy and cool...it feels like november. but i'm still counting down the days till the summer solstic. :)