I went on my first "real" hike of the season yesterday. Sure, I've been hiking down and around in the Quincy Lakes area....but that doesn't really count because it's so close to home and the fact that for me a real hike consists of pine trees, creeks/rivers and mountains. And let's face it, Quincy doesn't have those things to offer. Anyway, I jumped in the car and headed for Leavenworth and stopped at the Ranger Station to buy my season pass that gets me into all the National Parks as well as State and Local areas. And it cost me *only* $80. This is becoming a moderately expensive hobby.....I had planned to go hiking in the Icicle River Gorge, but while I was at the Ranger Station I learned that there had been a rock slide and that the trail was closed so I had to quickly come up with a plan B. I decided to go to Ingalls Creek because I had never been before and the hike was fairly easy. Like I said, it was the first hike of the season, so I had to do something easy. Ingalls Creek is located up on Blewett Pass. That's the pass between Wenatchee and Ellensburg for you out-of-staters and for some of the in-staters who are geographically challanged. It turned out to be a nice, mellow hike. The trail itself is like 16 miles one way....but I figured 2 miles in and 2 miles out was good enough for me. The weather was nice - 70 degrees and sunny, the creek was roaring with run-off, the wildflowers were all in bloom and I didn't even see another living person! Though I did see a snake, but believe it or not I didn't scream of freak out. I didn't even listen to my iPOD. I just enjoyed the sounds of nature. Very nice. Very Zen.
4 comments:
Sounds like the perfect day. I can hardly wait for the snow to melt so that I can do some of the higher elevation hikes this summer.
Way to be brave with the snake...I would have run all the way back to my car if I ever came accross a snake.
i have to say that when i saw the title of your blog today, i was rather excited. i thought that perhaps you were in the midwest and was around where little house on the prairie was filmed. i must say that i was a bit disappointed to find no such thing. but, i'm glad you had a nice hike & i'm with dawn. if that had been me you would have heard my scream four states away!
first off, i want to say i am really sorry to hear about your dog. i know she's in dog heaven right now...but still it's so sad to me.
i always admire people who aren't afraid to do things by themselves. (that's not a comment to point out that you're single either). even when i was single i could never do things alone. i'm not talking about shopping and such. things like eating at a restaurant, going hiking, attending a baseball game - things like that. sometimes when wyatt has to work and i'm alone on the weekend i contemplate doing these things but never do. i'm just too big of a chicken. glad you had fun!
As you know, I am not a hiker. But, my opinion is that if you take your iPod you aren't a real hiker either. So, continue to leave your iPod at home and enjoy nature for me. As you may or may not know, I'm allergic to nature! :)
Post a Comment