Sunday, September 6, 2009

Hiking: Washington vs. Utah

Well, I've been hiking in Utah a few times now and it has been fun. Though I've noticed some distinct differences between Utah and Washington, and I'm not really talking about the differences in geography, climate, etc. I'm talking about policies. These are the main differences I've noticed.

Fees/Permits. In Washington State you have to have a permit and/or pay a fee for everything, mostly parking. It always seemed odd to me that I had to pay to park in a dirt lot in the middle of nowhere. I buy a year pass so it is not that big of a deal, but it still kind of sucks. And then after you park, you have to fill out a permit and have it displayed on your pack at all times or you run the risk of being fined by the forest department. In Utah, well everyplace I've been has been FREE and permits aren't required. It's kind of nice.

Dogs. In Washington State, on most trails, dogs are forbidden. On the trails they are allowed, the have to be leashed. In Utah, there appears to be no laws pertaining to dogs. Now, don't get me wrong, I like dogs, but they can be kind of annoying. I was hiking last week, I came around a corner and was instantly surrounded by 5 HUGE dogs barking their heads off. I wasn't really scared, but I was a little apprehensive........

Mixed Trails. It seems like all the trails in Utah are "mixed trails." Meaning that they are open to hikers, bikers, horses and motorcycles! Ugh! I'm okay with the horses, even though they stink. Bikes are okay...at least they are quiet. But no thank you to motorcycles. They are noisy and I've been about run down about 3 times. Idiots. Needless to say, in Washington all motorized vehicles are forbidden (as well as mountain bikes and horses in some areas) and I like it like that.

Interesting differences, no?

4 comments:

the baker said...

Very interesting--after that info, I would probably prefer hiking in Washington (even though paying fees always is LAME), I think that they are right on with limiting who and what is running around.

mom/Janet said...

Sorry, I just had to comment. We've hiked in the parks for years and years and never have paid for parking. Are we just lucky we haven't been ticketed or are we not in the good places?

mooney said...

I was always more concerned about running into snakes when I hiked in Utah. It does make it difficult to really enjoy your hike when you are dodging dogs, bikes and motorcycles. I do love the proximity of hiking to the city there. It was very convenient.
I do like the peacefulness of Washington hikes though. I dont mind paying the fees as long as they continue to go towards maintaining.

Jeff said...

Washington State requires parking passes at all Trailheads on state lands. If you don't have one, you run the risk of getting a ticket. I've actually known people who have been ticketed.......