Saturday, September 19, 2009

BYU Football

Today, I attended my first BYU football game in Provo since October 1995, and it was interesting. First just let me say they lost, as in got totally blown out, but this blog isn't really about the game, it's about the experience of going to the game.

My first reaction when I walked into the stadium was "gee, this place is small." I guess I've become jaded with going to Husky Stadium, Qwest Field, Heinz Field, etc. Though BYU's stadium is quite nice. I like how close the seats are to the field. It is much easier to see the action that way. And of course I like how the stadium is well taken care of and how it is clean and organized.

The other thing that really surprised me was how quiet the place was. Yes, there was a football game going on and yes, people were cheering, but it wasn't really that loud. Husky Stadium on a losing day is louder. I have some theories for this: 1) Mormons, by nature, are conservative and therefore don't get overly excited. 2) No alcohol consumption=no loud crazy fans. 3) People are too busy fussing with their lap children (of which there were many). 4) People are too mentally concerned with all the things they have to do on Sunday (home teaching, lessons, talks, etc.). 5) The noise evaporates in the thin mountain air.

But the best part was the guy I was sitting next to........he seriously could have been Napoleon Dynamite! Seriously. He was a little goofy looking and said things like "gosh!" and "sweet!" He was waaaay into it, bless his heart. Every time something happened he was on his feet, arms akimbo, yelling and screaming. I seriously thought I was going to be hit in the face with those arms. He threw his hat on the floor and stomped his foot several times. My favorite part was when Florida State kicked a field goal to go up 47-21 (with 10 minutes to go) and he said something like "now we'll never catch up." Really? You just figured that out? Poor guy. I got the distinct impression that BYU football was his life. He is gonna have a tough week.

Overall, it was fun, even though BYU got killed. I have season tickets, so I have 5 more games to attend. Think of all the fun! I just hope they actually win a game.

4 comments:

Lyne Family said...

Ben and my dad have season tickets, too. You must not have been sitting anywhere near them because Ben came home with a very hoarse voice so he was doing his darnedest to make some noise!

Brittany said...

i think it's the thin mountain air.

i've been itch'n to go to a college ball game the past couple of years. i think this might be the year we're gonna go. i was thinking of seeing the huskies play... wanna come?

i'm glad you had a fun time. season tickets, eh? i was under the impression those were hard to come by...

Reed said...

Yeah, Husky Stadium rocks. And shakes when the crowd gets going. The announcers were saying (during the USC game) that Husky Stadium is the loudest in college football at a recorded 133 decibels. I've actually been a little nervous at times in the upper deck when the whole crowd is jumping up and down and the thing starts shaking.

The Mills said...

lol.. thats great Jeff!! ha ha