So I'm still in Asia. In fact, I am back at Camp Narita and I go home to Seattle tomorrow. The trip has been fun and it has actually gone by really quick, but I am looking forward to going home and sleeping in my own bed (and growing my goatee back). During this trip, I had a 33 hour layover in Guangzhou, China. I had never been there before and it was interesting. I guess the highlight of the layover was getting a massage. I had asked around to find out the best place to go to and I decided upon this massage place about 5 minutes from the hotel. So I showed up at around 11:00AM ready to be pampered. I was shown to the massage room and met my massage therapist. She looked like she was about 18 years old and weighed all of 90 pounds and I seriously wondered if she was going to be strong enough to give me a quality massage. First I sat down in a chair so that she could massage my feet for an hour. Yes, my feet for an entire hour. As in, 30 minutes per foot. And I soon discovered that she was plenty strong. Oh my heck! The pain! I never knew feet could be massaged like that. At one point I seriously began to wonder if I was going to be able to walk out of the place. But I kept telling myself that it was a good pain and that I would feel better when it was all over..... Interesting thing was that after about 10 minutes of foot massage, she looked at me and told me that I had sleep and digestive problems. And that's true! Maybe this whole reflexology thing deserves more attention. Anyway, after the the first hour flew bye, she moved me over to the massage table. And in case you are wondering, no I wasn't naked. The Chinese are surprisingly modest. I was actually wearing a lovely silk robe with a dragon on it. So I'm lying there on the table, face down and wondering what was going to happen next. Did she just climb on the table? Is that her foot or hand on my lower back? Is she actually kneeling on my back? Yeah, she started walking/kneeling all over my back. And again, it was a little painful. Every once in awhile, a let out a little cry and she would suddenly stop and ask me if I was okay. I assured her that I was, and she would start walking around on my back again. How did she not fall off? This went on for about 30 minutes or so and then she flipped me over and massaged my face for 15 minutes or so. That was kind of odd as well. Especially when she rubbed the INSIDE of my ears. I really wanted to tell her to please stop, but I decided to let her continue because after all, it was a cultural experience. After 2 hours she finally stopped and I changed back into my clothes. Even though it totally hurt, I felt great when it was all over and I had no problem walking out of the place. I might have to start doing this every time I am in Asia. The best part was when I paid the bill. A 2 hour massage for 115 Chinese Yuan. That translates to about $18. Nice, huh?
4 comments:
thanks for answering the question about you being naked or not...i was a little afraid of continuing to read further, not knowing what was ahead---way to go chinese peeps...thanks for keeping the clothes on. :)
It sounds slightly creepy to me. I am kind of a wimp. I don't do well with deep tissue massages. I hope that her feet were clean. :)
i think a massage sounds nice - especially a high-quality, clothed, $18 massage. how do your feet feel today?
Feet feel GREAT.
Post a Comment