Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Superstar!

For whatever reason, I get a lot of attention when I am in Japan/Asia.  Weird, I know.  I think it has something to do with the fact that I'm an American, but yet I speak Japanese and somehow that makes me intriguing.  I don't know, but it is kind of bizarre.  Here are a few of the odd things that happened to me this week.  Number of times I was told that I look like Val Kilmer: 6.  Okay, this is odd, but not that unusual.  When I'm at work in the US, I get this at least once a day.  No, seriously.  Personally, I don't really see it, but I'll take a compliment anyway I can.  It is a compliment, right?  Number of times I was told that I should be a model: 1.  A Filipino lady told me that I have beautiful hair and beautiful teeth.  Okay, those are nice features...but the rest of me?  C'mon!  Don't expect to see my 5'7" 200lbs frame strutting down the runway or gracing the cover of a magazine anytime soon.  Number of picture requests: 3.  Let's be clear on this.  I was not asked to take the picture...I was asked to be IN the picture.  At the hotel, the beach, on the plane.  Just random people asking me to be in their picture with them.  Number of autograph requests: 6.  Okay, so those were just from Customs Agents, so I guess they don't really count.  Like I said, I get a lot of attention when I'm here and it's not because of anything I'm doing.  I'm just being my normal self and all these people come out of the woodwork.  It does do wonders for my self esteem though.

8 comments:

mooney said...

Hey, if I was treated like a superstar over there, I would never want to leave. Enjoy the love...

Jeanna said...

That would make me feel super good about myself too. I often wonder if it would be weird for Asian people to see a 5 foot 10 inch blonde who speaks Japanese. Pretty odd. I keep thinking they would just be amazed at how fat I was. Truly. Americans are so huge compared to them anyway...

You do have nice teeth, I've noticed.

p.s., You kept saying "we" did this or "we" did that. Who were you with?

Jeff said...

I think I use "we" when I'm talking about the entire crew. On long trips like this we are kind of a packaged deal......they become like your family for 8 days.

Jeanna said...

Oh! I assumed you were on an extended vacation, and not a "trip" as an employee of NW.

That makes sense.

Anonymous said...

It reminds me of the woman who declared "BABEEE! You look like Annngel!" ~llp

Haley said...

Val Kilmer? You know, I can see it...I think I'm going to start calling you Iceman.

The Mills said...

Wow Jeff, thats so funny! How fun though, HA HA!!

Jeanna said...

Jeff, When I read Reed's comment, before I saw his explanation of who he was, I thought to myself, "I 'know' two Reeds. One is the brother of a friend, and I don't really know him. The other is Jeff Hyer's brother, and I don't really 'know' him either." Funny how I had a pretty good idea of who Reed was. I'm glad he reads the blog, makes me feel liked. I have people who read mine regularly who pop over to yours as well.