Thursday, September 25, 2008

London 2012

I started training today for the 2012 Summer Olympic Games in London.  Event:  Swimming.  Okay, you can stop laughing now.  I am currently in Tokyo and since I am spending so much quality time here these days, I decided to take up swimming.  The hotel has a nice indoor lap pool that is free of charge for those of us who work for a certain large airline.  Though in order to use the pool, I had to go and buy a cap and goggles, as they are required to use in the pool.  Fortunately, Speedo's are not.  I am perfectly content to swim in my board shorts, thank you.  So this morning I got up and headed down to the pool.  First of all, let me say, I am not a swimmer.  Sure, I can go off the diving board and (I use this term lightly) swim to the side, but I have never, ever swam for distance.  So, I got in the pool, which by the way, was also occupied by about 3 middle aged/older Japanese women (what's up with that?) and started doing my laps.  And basically I learned that my technique sucks, probably because I have no technique.  (Maybe I should hire a coach?).  I think my whole problem stems from the fact that I don't like putting my face in the water.  Whatever.  I did some laps until my legs and arms were burning (about 30 minutes worth of swimming) and then got out.  While I was sitting pool side another American guy came along and started doing some laps....and he looked like he knew what he was doing...so I studied his technique for awhile and I think I learned a few things.  Maybe I won't need a coach after all.  Anyway, I am going to try again tomorrow, or tonight if I get really bored and try and improve my form.  I've got 4 years to get ready for London.

3 comments:

Jeanna said...

I have serious swimming issues myself. It all stems from when I took swim lessons and was in the "advanced" level. They made us dive over the edge, swim to the other side, hop out, dive again, repeat, over and over and over. Did I mention that at this point no one had EVER taught me how to dive? I was practically drowning and then I freaked out and insisted my mom put me in the intermediate level again. She wasn't happy and I have never wanted to put my face in the water again, ever.

When you get really good you can:
a. Give me some tips.
b. Eat like Michael Phelps. Dang, I'm jealous.

Lyne Family said...

I thought you ran? Didn't you used to run? Good for you for doing something with your time, and thank goodness speedos aren't required!

mooney said...

I trained for a triathalon once and I swear the swimming was the hardest part. I don't know what happened, I used to be able to swim for hours when I was little.
I have to start going again though, so that when I learn to surf in November I will stay afloat.