Friday, July 4, 2008

You Gotta Have Faith

You probably think this is going to be some spiritual post....WRONG! It's about 80's sensation....George Michael! Yup, that's right. George rolled into town the other night on his tour and I was on hand with Dawn and Lucy to witness all the action! First of all, let me say that I have always liked George. Sure, the Wham! phase was a bit much at times.....but those songs were so catchy! The Faith era rocked! And after that...well, I think he lost some of his focus and was side tracked by various legal problems. But despite all the problems he did manage to put out a few really good songs. So I was quite excited to go to the show on Wednesday night in Seattle. The arena was maybe 3/4 full....but what to you expect when he hasn't toured North America in 17 years and pretty much does no self-promotion? The arena may not have been full....but the people were very, very vocal. They were up of their feet screaming from the minute he walked out on stage! That kind of surprised me. And they pretty much remained on their feet screaming for the entire show. He sang some new songs and well as the classics. Here is the set list:

Waiting
Fastlove
I'm Your Man
Father Figure
The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face
Hard Day
Everything She Wants
One More Try
A Different Corner
An Easier Affair
Too Funky
Star People

Faith
Spinning the Wheel
Roxanne
Kissing A Fool
Amazing
Flawless
Outside

Praying For Time
Carless Whisper

Freedom 90

Yes, it was a great show. Though I was a little disappointed that he didn't perform "Monkey," but I will live. He sounded pretty good for the most part. He did, as Lucy pointed out, have a couple of "range issues." But it was still good. His "live voice" is still better than most people's "studio voice." He is one talented man....and it frustrates me that he doesn't put out more music! Ugh! But anyway, it was a great show and we had a great time.

4 comments:

the baker said...

i think freedom is still my favorite song of his...probably cause i have some great memories from that summer when it came out. but also i have a soft spot in my heart for careless whisper--how can i forget a song that was mine and jb's in the 7th grade?

Jeanna said...

I went to a George Michael concert with my cousin back in the 80s. I loved that concert, he totally rocked. Of course he started with "I want your xxx" Oops, but as a teenager I LOVED it. I would rethink that now....

glad you had fun!

mooney said...

I agree, it was a great concert! I love, love, love his voice! George Michaels rocks!

Anonymous said...

George is the best ever! Like Buttah. I love the live versions of "Everything She Wants" and "A Different Corner." Wish I could have gone, but at least I can live vicariously through you. Makes we want to go rent the Wham! video and throw a party like we used to do in the 80's.