Sunday, July 20, 2008

It's Over.

Dear Seattle,

I really hate to do this but I feel like I have no choice. It's very painful for me to say, but it is over between us. Completly and totally over. Sure, we've had some good times.....Good Times! But we both know that it just isn't working anymore. Afterall, we are going on year three of our trial seperation. But I really wanted to tell you one last time that I love you and miss you terribly and that I will always hold a special place in my heart for you. You, my dear, were my first true love. I still remember the first time that I laid my eyes upon your glorious streets and sparkling skyscrapers. I was only four, but I remember it vividly. And since that day I have wanted to be with you and only you. As I got older, my love only grew stronger and I started to visit more often. Soon we were seeing each other on a monthly basis. I couldn't get enough of your crisp, clean air, evergreen trees, rhododendrons and exciting urban life. But then I left you! How could I be so stupid?! First I was enticed by the exotic charms of Japan. She was exciting, crackling with electricity, but she lacked your beautiful scenery. Then it was Utah. I really liked her cooking. Jell-O and casseroles for days! But afterwhile even that got boring. And then it was off to Detroit. And let's be honest. She was total white trash. I really don't know what I was thinking. But some good did come out of that relationship. After a year with her I realized that you, Seattle, were the only one for me! We moved in together in 1997 and picked up right where we left off. It was like we had never been apart. Those were some good times. I'll never forget clubbing until the wee hours of the morning at the trendy Fenix Underground, the exotic Down Under and even the some-what scary (but fun!) Neighbors. And those beautiful Sundays in the summer. How we would take the ferry over to Bremerton and back! We would stand out on the deck and take in all the scenery. From Mt. Rainier looming in the distance to the Olympic mountains rising before us! It was all so breathtaking that it almost made me cry! And how I loved to hang out downtown and at Pioneer Square sitting in cafe's, wandering in bookstores and people watching. So much fun! And Greenlake. Beautiful Greenlake. Sure it's an urban marsh, but it was OUR urban marsh! We would walk/run around that lake every morning. I loved watching the seasons change around the lake. My favorite was spring when the daffodils and cherry blossoms bloomed. It felt good to be alive and with you Seattle...and I was in the best shape of my life. But let's be honest. Things were not perfect. I hated your traffic! It drove me crazy and made me swear.....a lot! Your lack of urban planning was always a mystery to me. And the arguing. Every little faction with a cause constantly battling with everybody else. No wonder it took 30 years to get light rail. Let's not forget the outsiders/transplants/tourists. By that I mean those we just didn't understand and appreciate your complex nature and everything that you have to offer. I hated how they would complain and constantly compare you to other cities. If only they would just go back from where they came from! But I think, in the end, that we just grew apart. You've changed. You've become this snotty, high maintainace, faction fighting, over priced urban mess. I miss the old Seattle. The Seattle before Grunge, Microsoft, Starbucks and homes that cost more than I could ever make in a lifetime. I liked the Boeing/Bon Marche/Kingdome Seattle. But I suppose that I am to blame as well. I should have studied harder and got a better job. Then perhaps I would have enough money to make us both happy and that would keep us together. Now, I am with my childhood sweatheart Quincy. Do I love her? No. Will I ever love her? Probably not. She's boring, ugly, depressing and rather pathetic. Am I totally unhappy? No. I am just settling and that is just they way it is. Sure, we will continue to see each other about 4 times a month, but that's it. That, unfortuatnly, is unavoidable. But they will be quick visits. Just long enough to get on a plane and leave. Forgive me if I never stop in just to hang out or get something to eat. I would rather not put myself through that pain. I will, however, keep one momento of our time together; my 425 area code on my cell phone. I don't ever plan on giving that up. Every time I give that number out I will smile and remember the good times we had. Good Times! Good bye Seattle and God bless.

11 comments:

Brittany said...

wow. that was really good. you really had me absorbed and i almost shout out loud "don't do it jeff!" you do have a way with words... you should visit my blog and write a product description. i bet you'd be really good at it.

maybe you'd like seattle's little sister, portland?

Jeff said...

Yeah, I saw your contest. I plan on entering.....I just have to find the right words. :)

Anonymous said...

Good one! That soliloquy was as good as the Dynasty or Melrose Place dramas ever were. I have to agree with your thoughts on the "new" Seattle. Nothing more than a sprawling, high-priced, schizophrenic whore! She gobbled up poor little Issaquah and North Bend and pimped them to outsiders and foreigners. I, too, loved the old days when she was innocent, fun, and didn't cost a small fortune. I know I can never ever go back to her, either. And Portland has a bad case of "little sister-itis" and leans toward being a paranoid eco-friendly, hippie tramp. Don't fall for her false charms. She'll chew you up, spit you out, and then trash-talk you for decades. Look for a small town beauty with stability and class that hasn't been 'had' by everyone and their "Best Places to Live" lists. She doesn't need to be a Nordstrom-worthy town, just one that makes you happy and want to be the best version of yourself. Maybe Quincy will eventually transform from a boring ugly duckling to a charming beautiful swan someday. Yeah, okay, that's a stretch.

mooney said...

I am speechless....

Sarah said...

And yet...within the county of King there lies a place just beyond her sultry reach. From here you can still flirt with all Seattle's attractions as often as you wish, but you can leave whenever you feel so inclined.
Our area code might be 206, and she might collect our taxes, but it will be a bitter battle before our nifty niche becomes a true suburb of the Seattle sort.
Here the bumper stickers read, "Keep Vashon Weird" just to keep your former lover from building a bridge to paradise.
I do believe, Jeff, that you looked East when you should have looked West. You're right to look at what happened to the relationship between Seattle and Issaquah. Shameful. And I hear your X is now creeping over the Mountain to Cle Elum and where, Jeff, where will she stop? Quincy, perhaps?

mooney said...

Okay, I have found my voice again. I think it is so sad to hear that you have given up on her. Though Seattle may have some bad habits, the good about her far out weighs the bad.
I think you should reconsider your decision to abandon ship and maybe just hang on to a life preserver just in case you decide to get back on board.

Anonymous said...

That is the best "Dear John" letter written to a city I have ever read. In fact, I think that is the only one I have ever read. But, still, I was intrigued and pained (just a little) that you have given up on Seattle. Just because you can't afford to live there doesn't mean it isn't still a great city. Of course, Seattle will never be as great as Denver. So, logically speaking, I can see why it is so easy for you to give up on her. Seattle's beauty was only skin deep.

I'm sorry dear friend to hear about Seattle but you can do better. Move on to better cities. Cities worth your time.

H.

Jeff said...

Denver? Really? That's a whole blog entry on it's own.

Jeff said...

And at least Seattle mattered....Denver never did and never will....:)

Anonymous said...

It's ok. I'll let you live in your fairytale world. Unfortunately Denver has always mattered. Seattle has always been a little postage stamp of Russian property used to support drug induced hobos, people with bad taste in fashion and music, caffeine induced egos, sun haters and planes forced to refuel on their way to and from Asia. It's sad really. No wonder Kurt Cobain ended his life early.

H.

Jeff said...

But I'm so confused. If Denver really matters......why haven't you lived there for 20 years? Perhaps it is you who is living in a "Fairytale World" (AKA Utah).