The mountain from Sunrise..........
Dawn and I decided to take a quick camping trip to Mt. Rainier over the weekend. I drove from Quincy and she drove from Seattle and we met up at the White River campground. After setting up camp we drove around the mountain to Paradise. Kind of a mistake. There were waaaaaaay too many people out as it was Sunday afternoon. There wasn't a whole lot to do there as the meadows were still buried under feet and feet of snow. Lots of snows means no wildflowers. So we took a few pics...mocked the tourists.....cruised the gift shop and then retreated to the peace and quiet of our campsite.
We had dinner...Dawn was in charge of food...I was in charge of shelter and fire. And then we just hung out by the fire eating all night and doing the NY Times crossword puzzle. The weather was great. Sunny and hot. In fact, I didn't even get cold during the night. I spent most of the night on top of my sleeping bag. Dawn on the other hand.......
The next morning we got up, had breakfast and then went on some wannabe hikes. They were more like strolls in the woods, but they were still fun. First we went to the Grove of the Patriarchs where we got to see 1,000 year old trees. That was pretty cool. The tree trunks were about 25 feet around. It's hard to believe that trees can actually live that long. Then we hiked down to Silver Falls and had lunch on the rocks above the falls. Very nice. After that we drove up to Sunrise to take in the view. Sunrise is the highest point in the park that you can drive too. It's pretty cool. Great views in all directions. And then we went home and it left me wanting more.....much more. I really need to go back a few more times this summer. Hopefully, I will find the time.

6 comments:
Now Jeffrey, did you really think you could make a post about camping overnight with a member of the opposite sex who is not your wife and expect me not to say anything about it? Jeffrey....tsk tsk tsk.
Other than that, camping is kinda not my thing. If I went I would put every one else in charge of everything else, so that I could just show up and take care of my high maintenance self. :)
It was a single adult activity but only two of us showed and I had no tent to protect so what was I to do?
No worries we both stayed on our sides of the tent.
We love Mt Rainier and the surrounding trails, campsites and visitors centers. We spent alot of time there with our kids when they were still at home. The Silver Falls trail was our favorite. A little challenging but doable for little ones. The flood a couple of years ago changed the trail and it's not the same. So sad. Silver Falls is amazing. AND you know they just reopened a remodeling Paradise Lodge this summer. Sounds like you had a nice relaxing time in the outdoors and let me say amen to Jeanna's first paragraph. How's that for a little mothering from someone you don't even know.
Wow those are beautiful pictures Jeff, Sounds fun!
I had no idea that my little camping trip would ignite such a firestorm of controversy! Rest assured. It was strictly a 'PG' rated weekend. In fact, we had church discussions AND we sang songs and quoted lines from "Saturday's Warrior." Okay, we were just kind of mocking SW...but it did prompt a late night download of the soundtrack from iTurnes when I got home.
you went camping with a woman?!!! jeff! okay, maybe i am a little more lax but i didn't think much of it. i guess because i know you're a pretty outstanding guy. looks like you had a very enjoyable time. i love camping!
Post a Comment