
1984. That was the year I decided that I wanted to be Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran. For my young readers out there he is the one in the red shirt in the first photo. Anyway....big blonde hair? Yep. I had it. I even tucked in my skinny pink tie into my mint green shirt. I even owned gloves without fingers and wore them around on a regular basis. And sometimes I spoke in a faux British accent....looooong before Madonna and Britney made it cool....or in Britney's case, un-cool. But Duran Duran were so amazing. They dated models! They traveled to far off exotic locations! They wore totally awesome clothes! My desire to be Simon Le Bon faded....(only to be replaced by my desire to be Dave Gahan of Depeche Mode, but that's a whole different posting) ....but I still always liked Duran Duran's music. And so when I heard that they were coming to Seattle for a show, I jumped at the chance to go. No, this wasn't my first Duran Duran concert. In fact it was my third. I saw them at Park City in 1993 and again in Everett in 2005. This time around I went with Dawn and we saw them in Seattle at WaMu theater and it was a pretty good show. Here is the set list:
The Valley
Red Carpet Massacre
Nite Runner
Hungry Like The Wolf
Planet Earth
Falling Down
Come Undone
Skin Divers
The Reflex
Save A Prayer
A View To A Kill
Last Chance On The Stairway
All She Wants Is
I Don't Want Your Love
Skin Trade
Tempted
Notorious
Girls On Film
Ordinary World
Reach Up For The Sunrise
Wild Boys
Rio
For me, the best part of the show was their "electro-set." (Last Chance on the Stairway - Tempted). They came out, all dressed in black and got behind three keyboards and one electro drum kit and played "electro" versions of their songs. Think Kraftwerk. It was way cool and fun to see them do something a little out of character. I would love to get my hands on those electro versions. Overall they sounded good and seemed to be having a good time. The crowd was way into it and stood/danced pretty much the whole time. Towards the end I got tired of standing and had to sit for a bit.......I guess I'm getting old. Dawn was a little freaked out because the crowd was a little bit on the older side and it freaked her out even more when I told her that we too were a bit on the older side. Whatever. There were some younger kids there but I'm sure only because there parents made them go. Anyway, it was a great show and I'm glad that I had the opportunity to go....now if only I could find that skinny pink tie and mint green shirt.

3 comments:
That was quite the image you conjured up for us all. I only wish I could have seen it in person, at the show. Of course, I would have had to keep my distance, but it would've been funny to see just the same.
It was in Seattle? Why didn't I know about this!? Ugh. Oh well, I'm glad you had fun.
Okay, I can totally imagine it and it makes me smile.
Lucinda also is a MAJOR D-squared fan and sees all shows she can. I am pretty sure she never owned a skinny pink tie, however.
Post a Comment