I drove over to Seattle this evening as I go on call at midnight for 5 days. On my drive I stopped off in the town of Cle Elum for gas. Cle Elum is the last town you come to before driving over the pass. Anyway, I'm standing there filling up my Honda Civic when this older, smallish pick up truck with TEXAS plates pulls in behind me. Normally I wouldn't even notice something so trivial but in this case I did because this younger couple gets out wearing shorts and flip-flops!!! It's February people! You're in the mountains! Your attire maybe perfectly suitable for driving across flat, ugly, brown Texas, but it's not suitable for the Pacific Northwest. And I'm sure they didn't have any sort of winter supplies in their car. These are the kind of people you hear about on CNN who make a wrong turn in the mountains and get stranded and then die of exposure. It was all I could do to restrain myself from giving them some unsolicited advice. As for me, in my car I have a sleeping bag, blanket, hat and gloves, water, food, flashlight, candles and chains. Am I over prepared? Perhaps. But wouldn't you want to be in my car during a 12 hour avalanche delay?
3 comments:
I have done that. I know that makes me a real idiot but I am from California and therefore have no idea about winter preparedness. I have learned my lesson and no longer wear flip flops in the fall/winter driving to/from Cal/Utah. I wear appropriate shoe gear, bring blankets and pillows but don't have food or water on hand. Or a flashlight. I need to do this, bad. Thanks for the reminder.
p.s. I am pretty sure those texas people were bigger idiots than me. Just a feeling.
I know.....it's my job that gets me all crazy about stuff like this. I don't think your an idiot......Consider this a friendly reminder to always be prepared.....because I care.
momma g always told us to take our coats with us. even if we were driving five minutes away. i never really understood why until i was older and realized it wasn't so much to keep me warm in the car - but to keep me warm if the car broke down. i never have broke down in the winter but i think you're smart. and yes, i'd rather be in your car.
Post a Comment