Monday, March 9, 2009

Mystery Truck

As most of you know, when I go to work, I park my car in the employee parking lot, where I take a shuttle to the main terminal.  It's a rather large lot as it holds hundreds of cars.   I used to park as close as possible to one of the bus stops because I am lazy like that.  But ever since I got my new car, I have been parking far, far away from all the other cars and all the crazy drivers.  Really, is that hard to park within the lines?  Call me crazy, but I don't want my new baby all dinged up.  So, I park in the same place away from most of the other cars.  There are a few cars in my "parking area" and they seem to be "newer" and must have drivers like me, people who don't want their cars scraped up and what not.  Anyway, since October, I have been parking close to the same pick-up truck.  But here's the weird thing, and therefore our mystery of the day, it hasn't moved since October.  I know what you're thinking: it must move when I'm not there.  But I really don't think it has.  Here's what I know.  It's a new, white Ford F-150 truck with Alaska plates.  It also has an all-weather cover covering it up.  And that's how I know it hasn't moved.  The cover is held in place by these clamps around the wheel wells and during one of our windstorms last November, one of the clamps came off, and fell on the ground.  AND it is still sitting there on the ground, by the driver's door. If the owner had actually driven his truck he would have had to have seen the clamp and pick it up and then put it back in place the next time he parked the truck and secured the cover.  And I am also assuming it's a "he" and the "he" is a pilot.  Don't know why, but that's what I am thinking.  So where is this guy?  Why has his truck just been sitting there for 6 months?  Every time I go to work I always obsess over it while I am getting out of my car and walking to the bus stop.  Here are a couple of theories that I have.

#1.  He's dead.  He died in some freak accident and he has no family whatsoever and therefore no one knows this truck is parked at Sea-Tac.

#2.  He's a reserve in the military and got called up to Iraq and decided to leave his truck in the employee lot for safe keeping.

#3.  He's going through a bitter divorce and he doesn't want his soon to be ex-wife knowing about his truck because he is afraid of losing it.

#4. He's living in Alaska and is waiting for Spring/Summer to drive it back up north.

And that's all I've been able to come up with so far.  But the curiosity is killing me.  I'm half tempted to leave this guy a note telling him to call me and let me know why his truck has been sitting there for so long because I know one day I'll drive in and it will be gone and I just have to know what's up!

5 comments:

the baker said...

very interesting...my first thought was "wow, what if he's dead?" did you at least put the clip back onto his truck? you could leave a note saying you did that and maybe he could leave you a note, THEN you could become "note pals" and later become in person friends---in which you find out he's wanting to sublet his fabulous cabin in alaska...hmmm...the possibilities are endless with this one. :)

Jeff said...

That's true. Maybe he is gonna be my Alaska contact and will help me find a job..etc. It's fate.

the baker said...

wow, that was a fast response...and i think it is fate.

Anonymous said...

There you go...Jill is on to something. Or maybe there's a dead body inside the truck and it has a cover over it to keep it from being seen. Ask Mark or Collin to see if they can run the license plate and see what comes up? Can't they run an out-of-state plate? Maybe the guy parked his truck and now can't remember where he left it? I did that at BYU once and really stressed myself out about how I was going to tell dad that I 'lost' my car.

mooney said...

Hmmm....this is quite the mystery. Maybe the owner moved here from Alaska because he is stationed here in Seattle. His wife moved with him, but couldn't handle the rain and the fact that he was deployed and is jealous of his relationship with his car which is why he talked a NWA employee into letting him stow his truck in the parking lot so that it would be safe from her vengeful ways. Then while in Iraq he died but was unable to be identified and the NWA employee is afraid of getting caught so has not spoken up about the truck. It truly is a tragic story.