I just finished reading "The Measure of a Mountain" by Bruce Barcott. I try to read a book every month. I've been doing that for a couple of years. It makes me feel like I am doing something educational. Anyway, the book is about the author and his relationship with Mt. Rainier and the fact that he is completely obsessed with the mountain. It follows him on numerous hikes around the mountain and he even details his climb to the summit. He also gives lots of interesting history about the mountain and even briefly touches on what makes volcanoes tick. It was quite good and I enjoyed reading it. Though it totally makes me want to go hiking and camping and I can't.......see my previous post. But I've already started planning hikes and camping trips for this summer. I didn't even make to Mt. Rainier last year. Large chunks of the park were closed due to a winter storm that completely wiped out trails and campgrounds. One storm did something like $50 million worth of damage! Yikes! I'm hoping for a great mountain season the summer!
2 comments:
I'll have to read this book, so that I will be inspired to explore the mountain this summer.
The book sounds interesting. I am in a non-fiction as literature course and this book would fit right in.
I just got through reading Young Men and Fire about smokejumpers back in 1949 who got caught in a "blowup." The author also wrote A River Runs Through it. The YMandF book is a little bit rambly but interesting nonetheless.
Post a Comment