Yesterday, I went on my first alpine hike of the season! Wa-hoo. It was a beautiful day in the Seattle are, so I got dressed, threw my gear into the car and headed to the Cascade Foothills. Believe it or not, I've never been hiking on Rattlesnake Mountain and I'm not really sure why. I've been hiking on all the other mountains surrounding Rattlesnake but somehow it had fallen off my radar. Maybe it's the name? I don't do snakes, you know. Anyway, it was a good hike. The only problem was the snow/mud. The first 2 miles were great. Then the trail had about 2 inches of snow; after about another mile there were about 6 inches; and less than a mile after that there were about 10 inches. I really don't like to hike in the snow, so I turned around before I actually got to the top. Oh, well. I can always come back and it was still fun. Though this morning, I'm a little sore. I guess I'm old and out of shape.
4 comments:
The name alone, would have kept me from even going--so good job!
Is that the North Bend area R-snake Mtn? Why not try Rattlesnake Ridge west of Richland? It would be free of snow and mud, for sure. And have plenty of sun for your fading Hawaiian suntan and your "blond" hair or whatever you're calling the "new brown" these days. In these hard times, natural sunshine is cheaper than a bottle of color and doesn't look so brassy. But, congrats on getting out there. I need to do the same so I can at least stay on the tennis court with your for an hour and also keep up with you on some mid-summer hiking trips.
Yes, it was the North Bend Rattlesnake Mountain and while we are on the subject.....are there even rattlesnakes on the west side of the Cascades? I was always under the impression that there were not.
I love that hike, the views are so pretty. I wish that I could have blown off work and gone too. It sucks being an adult sometimes.
Post a Comment