Okay. I can't believe that I am actually going to say this, but I am thinking about moving to Utah. Yes, the Beehive State. Land of my forefathers. Scary, I know. Due to my work situation, it could, in fact, become a reality. So I have decided to make this a bit of an interactive posting. I need you all to give your 2 cents worth on Utah. What you like. What you dislike. Where the best place to live is...etc. I realize that not all of my reading public has had the opportunity to live in Utah. But I think that is safe to say that we have all been there before or we know someone that is from there. I have my own list on pros and cons and yes, the cons far outweigh the pros, but I still would love to hear your comments. So leave a comment and don't forget to vote in the poll! P.S. I really am being serious.
11 comments:
Well, I never thought I would ever say this in a million years but I like Utah. The state has grown on me. I enjoy being close to moutains and lakes and being able to "get away" with only a five minute drive up the canyon. I enjoy the sunshine and the snow. In reality, it is not much different from where I was raised except that the mountains surround me instead of only being to the west. There is history in the state and a lot of things to do for fun. Hiking, skiing, water skiing, boating, running, biking and camping. Although not all the amenities of big cities can be found in Utah, most can and most importantly, a Cheesecake Factory is only 45 minutes away as opposed to 6 hours to Las Vegas, 5 hours to Boise or 7 hours to Denver. You can watch General Conference at home, attend General Priesthood Meeting at the nearest Stake Center and walk to church. Most of all, Salt Lake is getting a non stop flight to Paris so Europe is only a 10 hour flight across the pond. In a nut shell, Utah is not bad. Especially when considering living in Memphis, Detroit, Brooklyn or Boston. Boston isn't bad, except the traffic would drive me crazy. So, I think moving to Utah would be good. Cost of living, minimal in comparison to the Pacific Northwest and almost every major city in the U.S. What's to loose?
Yes UTAH!! Live there, then we can come visit, cause it will be a fun place to vist. There are outlets in Park City, the Gateway, and hello IKEA!! There are 2 more temples being built there, you could go to conference. There are alot of hiking places to go to, Arches, TIMP. Boating at LAKE POWELL. My family lives there you could eat dinner with them whenever you wanted.
I would move there in a heart beat! :)
OK. Time for a little straight talk. Remember... Driving? I think if you started a Drivers Education School it would make Utah a MUCH better place. I am afraid that too many years of prepetuated bad instruction has reaped the worst generation of Utah drivers yet. Better than you attitude neighbors? If you know what you are getting into before you go, it is a great place. And you already know what it is like, so this is just a reminder. I echo the postitive comments already made, but go with eyes wide open. Having lived in both Quincy and Utah County. Utah County has it has down, if you like a faster pace. Salt Lake County is probably better for a hip jive cat like yourself. More that that Downtown SLC is pretty cool. You can even dust off your skis and remember what real snow is like. With that said, the rambling is ove.
Ummm.... Well if Lynsie lived at home she could say that. But dinner whenever you wanted? I don't know about that? Alright I guess I will be a good nephew and let ya come over and eat whenever ya wanted.
I am a California girl. With that in mind, it is going to be a shock to my system to actually "say" this. I like Utah. I enjoy the small town feel with the amenities of a big city. We have considered moving to a lot of different places but now that I have children and feel my roots are down, I love it here.
I still love my home state, I long for it, go there as often as possible, and love the mild climate.
There is one thing I don't like. The winter, oh, and the summer. The extreme heat and cold is a little harsh for this delicate flower. :)
What really bugs me about Utah is the people who diss on it just because it is supposedly cool to diss on Utah. So, it isn't the state, but the outsiders who don't have a positive thing to say about the state that has been my home as long as California has. I used to think it was cool to diss Utah, and I was pretty open about being a Sunshine State kinda girl. But I retract everything I ever said, I love it here. It isn't perfect, it will never be the fantastic big city kinda place, but it suits me fine.
Have fun living in Utah. I liked it when I lived there, I did really, really miss the water though.
Apparently I didn't say enough in my previous comment. I agree with what the others have said about Utah. There are worse places you can live, I hope you will be happy there if and when you chose to go.
No personal insights Ms. Mooney?
Hmmmm.. I lived there a few years... don't have much nice to say about it. BORING! YAWN. I lived in my sisters house and went to church every week. I was there for 4 months.. every week mind you, and went to all the activities. They still introduced me every Sunday as a visitor, Carin's sister. Even though I had really moved there. It's a different culture. My best friend there was not of this faith and she was FABULOUS!!! The saving grace is.. YOU will be flying all over the place and visiting other cities with more excitement and fun. You can live in a boring place. And the sky is BROWN most of the time. That was weird. I absolutely missed the water, trees, mountains (they THINK they have mountains there).. and GREEN!!! Course, this was all tainted with a bad marriage.. so maybe it would have been better if my marriage was better while there.. gut says "I dont' think so though".
Haven't been to Utah in years. Nuff said.
-K
Post a Comment