Sunday, December 6, 2009

One Local Kine Thanksgiving

Yes, I realize that Thanksgiving was almost two weeks. But I am now just getting around to posting about it. I had the pleasure of working the holiday, like I work pretty much every other holiday (though I was able to hold Arbor Day off this last year). But it was a good six day trip that went from Seattle to Tokyo to Honolulu, back to Tokyo and then to Seattle. And I got to fly with one of my favorite Seattle stewardesses...Arnie. Thanksgiving day we arrived in Honolulu bright and early at 7:00 AM, by the time I got to my hotel room it was about 8:30, and I promptly feel asleep until 2:00 PM. Pretty exciting so far, huh? After my nap I walked around Waikiki for awhile soaking up as much sunshine as I could possible get. For those who don't know, I hate winter and it's lack of sun. Anyway, the plan was to meet up with Arnie and her friend Leeza (also a flight attendant) and go to dinner. Well we met up, but there was a bit of a change to the plan. The new plan called for us to go over to Leeza's Aunt and Uncle's house and have dinner with them. Dinner with complete strangers..... I wasn't exactly thrilled with the idea, but then again I didn't want to roam around Waikiki on Thanksgiving alone and end up eating at Maui Tacos or L&L Drive-Inn. So away we went to the 'burbs for dinner. There ended up being only about 8-10 people there and they were all very nice and glad to have us, though it did seem sufficiently awkward. The Uncle was Japanese and the Aunt was Filipino......so basically we had an all Asian centric meal. The food was good...but I have to admit that I was really craving a traditional Thanksgiving meal. But then again, beggars can't be choosers, and after all, these people were kind enough to invite a complete stranger into their home, so I shouldn't complain. We actually stayed for a couple of hours and chit chatted.....everyone is always so fascinated with flight crews (why?). And we entertained them with tales of strange and interesting far off places......like Fargo. Good times. I left feeling way to full, and went back to hotel to sleep it off and the next morning we flew out, bright and early. It was a unique holiday for sure.

1 comment:

mooney said...

Sounds like an exciting evening.