As in 1974. That was the year we moved into our new house in all it's groovy glory. My room rocked! It had a "popcorn" ceiling with glitter! Ohhhhh.........It had chic panelling! And pychedelic blue and white carpet! Bobby Brady had nothing on me. Flash forward 34 years...I'm laying in bed looking around at the same ceiling and the same carpet (That's sad in and of itself....). Though instead of pannelling I was looking at the outdated wallpaper I put up 14 years ago. And I thought......."this room sucks." And then I wondered......"how hard is it to remove wallpaper?" So I tried. And before I knew it, all the wallpaper had been removed revealing that lovely panelling. So in a way my room has been restored to it's 1974 glory. But I don't think that's a good thing. I really don't know what I'm going to do with everything, but something needs to be done. At least it will give me a project to work on.
Lovely isn't it?
World Map Wallpaper.........

4 comments:
Mom's gonna be ma-ad! And is this all signalling that you'll be living there permanently? 'Cause I'm thinking that it sounds like you're modifying your surroundings in a way create your own space for years to come instead of occupying your childhood room for awhile. Wow, you were really serious with that letter to Seattle, weren't you? What's next, blasting a hole in the outside wall to make your own private entrance? You need to sound insulate the ceiling in the closet so you can't hear the water draining out of the bathtub upstairs.
Is your throw-up stain still on the carpet (circa 1976)? Remember that masking tape line down the middle that divided my half from your half...my half included the door and you had no way to enter or leave. Good times.
If only Mom had saved the blue fuzzy bedspreads that we had on our twin beds. That would be the best!
I have to say, I kinda like that carpet...and the paneling. How about some nice masculine color and do a stripey kind of paint job?
I am a little worried though. Like Reed says, are you making a permanent home there? Come on Jeff! Buy your own home already, get a nice 1 bedroom 900 square feet number, then you can have your own bachelor pad in which you can do all the decorating you want.
Yes, it's true that I could afford my own lovely home in Quincy...though the mere thought of that makes me want to puke (and then there would be another throw-up stain on the carpet....which by the way was from December 1980). And there is nothing worng with "sprucing up" my surroundings....but putting in my own entrance intriques me.
I am holding out hope that you will still buy your own place. I do understand the need to update your space though. The pictures don't quite give the carpet and wallpaper the justice they deserve. I think you have to see it all in person to fully appreciate the beauty of it all. :)
Post a Comment